Saturday, May 2, 2009

Stupid Family and More Points on Bullfighting

Okay, they aren't stupid. I love them to peices. I'm actually just complaining about my father.

He's such a workaholic! I suppose I understand that he needs to work a lot right now, because his buisiness is moving to a different building and they're expanding and all that stuff, but you think he could take a little bit, like an hour, to spend time with his daughter he sees twice a month.

It hurts, you know? I mean, am I really that annoying? Unloveable, even? This sort of thing has been happening since I can remember; Dad goes to work, comes home, goes on his computer and works some more, takes his turn on the back-and-forth game of Civilization he's had going on for forever, sometimes watches Red Dwarf or Monty Python, and goes to bed.

I come here because I love my father, and I miss him, but I hardly ever actually see him! It gets really lonely.

And them I'm lonely at Mom's because everybody's got their thing and I'm the odd one out. Even when my best friend Billie comes over because Mom and Billie are like this (twists two fingers together). Not that that's a bad thing, Billie needs Mom there, but I get so lonely. I've got no one.

It might help if I could stop being such a bitch. Like, I'm not exactly Super-Bitch or anything, but I could be a lot nicer. I'm a very bitter and jealous creature, and I need to fix that.

I feel better now. If you made it this far into my teen-angst rant, thanks for listening.

I'm going to go work on my stupid bullfighting project for Spanish Class.

Can't get away from the stupid bullfighting. **sigh** although, Okie (another blogger) did make a very interesting point on it. (Comment In Previous Blog Post)

Now, Okie, my problem with bullfighting in general is not just the torture part, it's that they kill the animal. I don't kill animals or even eat them, because I believe that they have souls that are just as complex as a person's and it is morally wrong to kill them. If the bulls had a choice in the matter, that would be different, but we can't communicate with them to ask, and so we shouldn't use them for this "art form."

It was nice to hear someone elses opinion on it, though. :) Thank you for the comment.


xoxoxo,
Brii333

QUOTE OF THE DAY
The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together.
~Erma Bombeck


Family quarrels are bitter things. They don't go by any rules. They're not like aches or wounds; they're more like splits in the skin that won't heal because there's not enough material.
~F. Scott Fitzgerald

1 comment:

Okie said...

Yikes...best of luck with the family balancing act.

Speaking as a father/breadwinner, I can see where it's easy to get caught up in work and letting it overwhelm all aspects of life. For the first few years I was married (up until my oldest kid was ~4 years old), I had a job where ~9 months of the year I averaged 16-18 hours/day. I enjoyed my job and liked the people I worked with...they were like family. Then I realized...they were too much like family, and my real family...just wasn't. Sadly, the industry/job I was in wasn't real keen on a work-life balance, so it was very hard to strike a balance between work and family once I decided to make it a proper priority. A couple of years later, some drastic changes happened and I had the opportunity to continue in my present career path, or to change the career path slightly, take a pay cut, but work standard 9-5 hours. I took the latter and it's made a huge difference in my life and the life of my family. I miss the old job sometimes...a few times a year. I still keep in touch with the old gang and they keep me posted on job openings. But now that I've truly made my family a priority, I'm not willing to go back.

Unfortunately, that change required a huge paradigm shift in my mind as well as some dramatic happenings both at work and home. It's hard to predict exactly what will help change anybody's mindset. For me, I'm glad the change happened. Over time, other things keep trying to muscle their way in front of my family...sometimes things do get in the way, but for the most part I've successfully put my family above other parts of my life. It's not always easy, sometimes it's very hard, but the payoff is great, especially as I watch my kids grow and think about how much I could be missing.

As to the bullfights, I'm definitely with you. I don't think the animals should be tortured or killed. The energy and excitement of a bullfight is fun (even the 'non-violent' one I attended). But I definitely agree, there's no reason for a bull (sometimes more than one) to be killed at the end of every event. It's pointless violence for the sake of appeasing some sick blood-lust of the onlookers. I'd gladly sign a petition to remove the slaughter from the bullfights.