Tuesday, April 28, 2009

La Corrida de Toros

We're learning about bullfighting in Spanish class. Now, I'm into animal rights--I don't go overboard, but I believe they need to be treated with as much respect as you would treat a human being with. I try not to make a fuss.

So I kept my mouth shut taking notes. I kept my mouth shut when they were talking about stabbing the bull in the neck with barbed spikes. I kept my mouth shut when they were talking about a 'quick kill' and how the matedor isn't supposed to make it hard for the bull. when they brought up a video of a bullfight, that's when I couldn't take it anymore.

How is that art? Senora F. was saying that it's not a fight, it's an art form, but I don't see stabbing an animal in the neck and then making it charge at something over and over and over again right before you KILL it entertainment. We didn't have to watch the kill, because we ran out of time, but if she brings that video up again today, I'm walking out. I don't care how much crap I get for it. I don't find watching animals in pain entertaining, and I certainly don't find it art.

You know they used to do that sort of thing with people? Put them in a big arena with a hungry lion and watch them fight to the death and whoever wins, wins? The Romans called that an art form, a sport. We call it barbaric.

How is a bullfight any different? Except that it's a lot rarer for the human to die. Is that how it's less barbaric, the human doesn't die?

I can't stand it.

Brii333

1 comment:

Okie said...

I actually attended a bull "fight" once and it was more humane than the stabbing/violent kind you describe. The one I attended was more like a rodeo in that the toreador wasn't there to kill/hurt/maim the bulls, but rather to show his courage and finesse in having the bull charge and then the man twirled the cape and spun out of the way. It was actually fairly artistic and almost like a strange dance between man and beast.

The Running of the Bulls (the translation of your blog title) begins with an event in which humans have been killed. There definitely is some protection set up for the people and only a dozen or so have been killed, though hundreds are injured each year. I think the running is part of the attempt to show that the people are just as much at risk as the bulls. And truly, in the bullfight itself, the toreador is at serious risk and there are instances where the human has been gorged/killed...though it is not as frequent...and in many bullfights, the killing of the bull is part of the tradition.

You'll likely be glad to hear that bullfighting in general is waning in popularity and that in many cases it is going to the less violent variety like the one I saw.