Monday, May 18, 2009

Review of "21st Century Breakdown"

Coming from the 90s punk rockers with blue hair nobody thought would ever grow up, this eighth album from Green Day is not only a shocker, but it's absolutely their best album yet. With just a taste of latin ("Peacemaker"), a hint of the original Green Day four-chord progression ("Horseshoes and Handgrenades"), and a little dash of American Idiot ("21st Century Breakdown"), it's an apocalyptic rock opera and musical force to be reckoned with. Billie Joe even manages to mellow his snarl into a croon for a few parts.



As a faithful Green Day fan who owns all of their albums but one, I will say that I'm not disappointed. With American Idiot, I felt that they had regressed to popular style, but now I think that it was an attention grabber, something to get the public back with them so they could get their message across. American Idiot was just a warm up for 21st Century Breakdown, and this album has something for everyone, even mellow ballads for my mother ("Restless Heart Syndrom"). (This is saying something, because my mother is infamous among my friends for getting headaches listening to The Barenaked Ladies.)

Anyhoo, I would definately reccomend this album for anyone. Go listen to it. Right now. I hate to be pushy, but you will love it. (I've been listening to it nearly nonstop all weekend.)

xoxoxo from your Faithful Green Day Follower,
Brii333


1. "Song of the Century" 0:58
Act I: Heroes and Cons
2. "21st Century Breakdown" 5:09
3. "Know Your Enemy" 3:11
4. "¡Viva la Gloria!" 3:31
5. "Before the Lobotomy" 4:37
6. "Christian's Inferno" 3:07
7. "Last Night on Earth" 3:57
Act II: Charlatans and Saints
8. "East Jesus Nowhere" 4:35
9. "Peacemaker" 3:24
10. "Last of the American Girls" 3:51
11. "Murder City" 2:54

12. "¿Viva la Gloria? (Little Girl)" 3:48
13. "Restless Heart Syndrome" 4:20
Act III: Horseshoes and Handgrenades
14. "Horseshoes and Handgrenades" 3:14
15. "The Static Age" 4:17
16. "21 Guns" 5:21
17. "American Eulogy" (A. "Mass Hysteria") 4:26
18. "See the Light" 4:36

No comments: