Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Everclear

I'm not surprised that this band isn't more popular. I ran across them on my dad's collection of around 22,000 songs and god knows how many artists and thought, "Well, this might be interesting..." To be honest, I didn't like them at first. I thought that the singer, Art Alexakis, sounded too strange, that his voice didn't have much tecnique to it. But I was intrigued by the songs "Normal Like You" and "Everything to Everyone," as I could understand what Alexakis was singing about. And they've grown on me.

With an almost grunge sound to the vocals and punk sound to the guitar and bass, Everclear is one of the few bands I can say is truely unique. They don't sound like anything else I've listened to, and, while I will say that a person would have to have a very open mind when first listening to them, they have talent.

My personal favorite album, So Much For the Afterglow, had three singles. "Everything to Everyone," a song about a girl who almost enjoys being pushed around by others and tries to be everything to everyone (hence the name). It was the most popular song of the album, and actually reached #1 on the Modern Rock Charts for a while. The other two singles, "Father of Mine" and "I Will Buy You A New Life," never made it even close. "Everything to Everyone" is one of a very few of their songs to have made it to the charts.

Anyhoo, my absolute favorite song by Everclear is "Normal Like You." It's a song about being depressed and screwed in the head, but not wanting to be like everyone else. He would rather be the way he is then be like the others, and he wants to know why they want him to be like them. There's nothing the medication can do for him that he can't figure out how to do on his own.

Well, now I've given you a rundown of another band/album...I feel special. lol, jk.

Hoping to Broaden Your Knowledge of Music, One Pathetic Review At a Time,
Brii333

No comments: