Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Red Dwarf (A Review)

Ahhh, British humor. You have to love it.

If you like Monty Python, you will like Red Dwarf. It's a science fiction comedy from the late eighties to early nineties, set aboard the space vessel Red Dwarf. Lister, a young man working on the ship, gets put into stasis for what he thinks will only be eighteen months when he refuses to surrender his pregnant cat, Frankenstein, to the ship's captain. When he is let out, however, it is three million years later, and everyone on the ship is dead, except for Cat, a human-like creature descended from cats, and Holly, the ship's computer. Also with them is a hologram of Lister's former bunkmate, Rimmer, who is a complete and total smeghead.

Basically, the show spends most of the time making a lot of fun of science fiction movies and TV shows, such as Star Trek and 2001: A Space Oddessy.

I don't know that my quick summerization gave it justice, but whatever. It's funny as hell. WATCH IT.

To watch the first episode for free, go onto YouTube, type in "Red Dwarf Season 1 Episode 1," and there should be a set of five videos (parts 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5) that is the first episode. I would just give you the links, but I cannot get onto YouTube here (at school) because it is blocked. (smegheads.)

XOXO
Brii333

QUOTES OF THE DAY

"Oh Smeg. What the smegging smeg's he smegging done?"
~Lister, Red Dwarf (1995 VHS "Red Dwarf: Smeg Outs", season III, episode "Bodyswap")

"Well, that was about as useful as a condom machine in the Vatican."
~Lister, Red Dwarf (I don't remember what episode, I think it was in season 2 or three)

1 comment:

Okie said...

Red Dwarf is great. I'm a huge fan of many British Comedies. I didn't get into Red Dwarf as much as others for some reason, but still had a lot of fun with it.

I got the Monty Python boxed set for Christmas and I'm still trying to find the time to get through all the Flying Circus episodes.

British Comedy is fabulous.