Friday, March 20, 2009

Runaway Voice, Me+Theatre=L♥VE

Guess where Brii's voice was this morning! Not with her, that's for sure. I could barely speak above a whisper. Six days before performance is NOT a good time to get sick. It's sort of back now, because I'm on my second thermos of peppermint tea (we ran out of lemon). Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

SHIT!

anyhoo, my costume fits, I know all my lines and movements, and I've gotten to where I'm past my nervousness at acting all whore-like on my friend's boyfriend. Now I just need my voice back. Shiz.

I love theatre. The lights, the crowd, the costumes, the memorization, the singing...even the night-before jitters. there's something about it, bringing the glitter and paint and cloth together to make magic, and then mixing in words and people to complete a beautiful, spellbinding effect.

And theatre is one of the few places I'm allowed to use my full voice. I'm forever being told to lower my voice, even though i' only speaking in a moderate tone. and on stage, I get to let loose. I don't have to hold back.

And I don't have to be myself.

xoxo,
Brii333

QUOTES OF THE DAY

"I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragoon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least."
~EUGENE IONESCO, Notes and Counter Notes

"It has not been definitively proved that the language of words is the best possible language. And it seems that on the stage, which is above all a space to fill and a place where something happens, the language of words may have to give way before a language of signs whose objective aspect is the one that has the most immediate impact upon us."
~ANTONIN ARTAUD, The Theatre and Its Double

"Drama lies in extreme exaggeration of the feelings, an exaggeration that dislocates flat everyday reality."
~EUGENE IONESCO, Notes and Counter Notes

1 comment:

Okie said...

get better quick and enjoy the show. break a leg