Monday, April 13, 2009

Relating To Edgar Allan Poe

I love reading Edgar Allan Poe. My used copy of "The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings" is well loved and kind of sad looking (it's a paperback). Some of my favorites include The Sleeper, Lenore, The Raven, Annabel Lee, The Bells, Eldorado, Eleanora, The Masque of the Red Death, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Pit and the Pendulum, and The Cask of Amontillado.

There are a lot of lines I can relate to. But there's a part of The Pit and the Pendulum with which I can relate to better then I thought I would...

"It was not that I feared to look upon things horrible, but that I grew aghast lest there should be nothing to see. At length, with a wild desperation at heart, I quickly unclosed my eyes. My worst thoughts, then, were confirmed. The blackness of eternal night encompassed me. I struggled for breath. The intensity of the darkness seemed to oppress and stifle me. The atmosphere was intolerably close."

I'm confessing my terrible fear of complete darkness only because I was told by our health teacher, Mrs. GL, that if I didn't learn to open up about things, I would never get over my addictive behaviors disorder. I want very badly to make it go away, so I am practicing opening up with my nyctohylophobia.

And while I'm setting myself up for many taunts from tony, I might as well confess that I am also terrified of tampons and ouija boards and ghosts.

That was a lot harder to admit then it should have been. I'm trying very hard not to delete this.

xoxoxo,
Brii333

QUOTE OF THE DAY
One will never reach distant shores,
if he chooses to remain upon the dock,
In fear his little ship of dreams
may be dashed against the rocks.
-- F. Bolen.

1 comment:

Okie said...

Great post. Good job not deleting it.

Poe is a fabulous author. Some of his stories don't sit as well with me (either for being too bland or sensationalistic...though when I think about the era in which they were written, I feel better about them).

Excellent quote too. Fear is a difficult thing to deal with, but once we can identify and acknowledge our fears, it's easier to face them...and overcome them.

Good luck.