Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Booklist

sooooo i have managed to cross "Catcher in the Rye," "Looking for Alaska," "The Giver," "Bloodletting," and "A Clockwork Orange" off of my booklist. here's my opinions:

"Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger

alright, so you get pretty much right away that Holden Caulfield is a depressing creature, and he only gets more depressed as the book goes on. though the book does end on a somewhat hopeful note, i cannot say that it's one of my favorites, and it is most definately not one that i'll read again. though Salinger did make some good points, i found the book an irritating, but not altogether pointless, documentery of teen angst. of course, most of my writing is the same thing, so i can't really talk.

"Looking for Alaska" by John Green

Looking for Alaska is definately in my top three favorite books. i picked it up at three in the afternoon and didn't stop reading until i finished reading it at about one in the morning. you know those books that, when you're finished, they leave you speechless? this one did that for me. there is only two other times this has happened: first when i was seven, the second time last year when i read "What Happened To Lani Garver." it follows Pudge, the Colonal, and Alaska, and it has one of those endings that you don't expect and makes you cry but at the same time realize everything's going to be okay. i know this: the last words are gonna stick with me.

"A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess.

I didn't like this one very much, either. i didn't even finish it. i'd like to understand what the people in the book is saying, thanks very much. i mean, that normally wouldn't stop me from reading a book, but halfway through, i got really sick of reading the violence. it made me sick, what the main character was capable of. so (sorry, Mysti) it's definately not one that i'll be finishing.

"The Giver" by Lois Lowry

this book definately was one to make me mad, through most of it. it was very imaginative and definately well written, and even though what the auther descibed didn't make sense most of the time, you still got it, just because it was that well done. it made me so mad, in parts of it, that i just about cried, especially when they killed the unnamed baby twin, and when they were going to kill Gabe, but i liked the ending. even though the book left me with a bit of unrest, i liked it. it made me think, especially about how we are starting to head in that direction. i don't like that we are, and i hope we are never that idiotic to start up with that.
now i move on to the next book...not sure which one yet...

toodles!
Brii333

No comments: