Monday, January 4, 2010

Gluten.

What is it about gluten that is so tastey? mmm, gluten.

Seriously, though. My friend is not allowed to eat anything with gluten in it, and everything that is on the list of stuff she can't eat is tastey, and everything on the list of stuff she can eat is revolting. Well, except for like, fruit and veggies and velveeta and stuff. Mmm, tastey.

So all of this got me asking--what the hell is gluten? I went onto Wikipedia (the Free Encyclopedia), and typed "gluten" into the search engine. What did I discover, do you ask? Well, basically gluten is a combination of the two proteins gliadin and glutenin, and about eighty percent of the wheat seed is gluten. It gives bread dough it's elasticity, adds chewiness to baked bagels and such (mmm, bagels. yummy!).

So apparently only about half a percent of the U.S. population has an adverse immune response to gluten, and the only cure is avoiding gluten all together. In our times, it's uber hard because MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) has gluten in it (imagine that *Sarcasm*). This is translate for "All that has no gluten is disgusting."

So, basically, I told you all that just to say "pity those who eat no gluten! Pity themmm!!!"

That's all, folks!
xoxo,
Brii333

1 comment:

Okie said...

I've got a few friends with various dietary restrictions....some can't have gluten, others no sugar, others no wheat, and on and on....makes me glad I'm "normal" so I don't have to worry about ingredients.